After several months spent to adapt the data format, create Matlab scripts and testing automatic data upload to the MyOcean server via FPT, the OOCS data from 2014 are now distributed through this platform.
MyOcean (www.myocean.eu) is a European portal distributing oceanographic data and providing marine forecast using in situ data and numerical models. MyOcean transfers the data to the Mediterranean Operational Network for the Global Ocean Observing System (MONGOOS) for free distribution.
The MyOcean project is the pre-operational mode of what from 2015 will be called Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service.
How to access the data
For a user to have access to the data, the user must register to myocean:
Currently, the OOCS in situ data are only available in netcdf format in ftp server. Thus, after registration, the user can use the credentials to download the data from medinsitu.hcmr.gr.
At present, tThere is no graphical representation of the data, but the portal is preparing a graphical interface for MONGOOS partners which will be available by November.
For MyOcean FTP, when in http://www.myocean.eu the user must take the following steps:
In the menu tab "SERVICES PORTFOLIO" select "ACCESS TO PRODUCTS".
- The "online catalogue" page is displayed.
- In the left sidebar you should check
Then in the right side two products appear:
- in the "AREA" section, the "Mediterranean Sea" option and
- in the "OBSERVATIONS/MODELS" section, the "InSitu Observations" option.
The user must select the option "ADD TO CART" for the product interested in.
- "Mediterranean Sea- In-Situ Near Real Time Observations" which contain the data that are updated continuously
- "Mediterranean- In-situ Observations Yearly Delivery in Delayed Mode (1990-2012)"
Then below the main menu the product appears in the user chart. Select "DOWNLOAD" option.
The user is asked to use the credentials received after registration.
After authentication the user will be redirected to the medinsitu.hcmr.gr FTP server.
The structure of MyOcean INSITU FTP portal is as follows:
- Near real time (NRT) directory:
- Latest directory for data collected in the last 30 days
- Monthly directory with files containing data for each month of observation
- History directory that contains files with platform data from the first day of observation (1990 and after)
- REP directory contains reprocessed files for each platform with validated TS parameters
The user can navigate through the directories and see all the available data, and the user will find the data inside the latest and monthly directories.
We acknowledge the kind support of MyOcean members, Maria Sotiropoulou and Antonis Chalkiopoulos. Antonio Cruzado and Nadia Pinardi promoted the CEAB - MyOcean interaction. Nixon Bahamon was coordinator and executor of this action.